Hwan Kyoung Ko is a partner in the TMT Group at Lee & Ko. He is a leading expert in the areas of telecommunications, broadcasting, IT, Data Privacy & Cybersecurity, Digital Finance, Fintech, M&A, and legislative consulting. Mr. Ko advised the Financial Services Commission with the amendment the Credit Information Act and recently advised the Personal Information Protection Commission with the amendment of the Personal Information Protection Act In addition, Mr. Ko is actively involved in a wide range of academic research activities such as serving as the vice chairman of the Korea Personal Information Law Association and vice chairman of the Financial Information Society of Korea, and is actively carrying out activities to improve the legal system in the related fields by serving as a member of the Special Committee on Data under the 4th Industrial Revolution Committee, and as the head of the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Legislative Policy Subcommittee of the My Health Way Task Force. From 2022, he has been serving as a member (Sub-committee on Data Protection) of the Presidential Committee on the Digital Platform Government.
In 2019, he received the President’s Commendation Medal for his contribution to the growth of the information and communications industry. And in 2022, he received a Commendation Award from the Minister of Health and Welfare.
Mr. Ko has been consistently recognized as one of the top legal practitioners in Korea as witnessed by his selection as: a leading lawyer in the field of TMT (Technology, Media, Telecommunications) by Chambers Asia (Band 2 in 2022); the best lawyer in the field of telecommunications, AI and Data, etc. in Hankyung Business Magazine’s “Best Lawyer” Rankings in 2020 and 2022; and one of Asian Legal Business’s Top 15 TMT Lawyers in Asia.
Mr. Ko participated in the establishment of Lee & Ko’s Credit Information Team in 2020 and Digital Finance Team in 2021, and is currently serving as its head.
As of 2022, Mr. Ko is also serving as the vice chairman of the MyData Forum, a committee member of the Data AI Subcommittee of the Platform Self-Regulation Council under the Ministry of Science and ICT, and a committee member of the Digital Innovation Subcommittee of the Financial Regulation Innovation Council of the Financial Services Commission.
Mr. Ko holds a B.A. from Korea University and an LL.M. from Georgetown University Law Center. He is admitted to the New York and Korean Bar.
- [Data Privacy & Cybersecurity/IT Compliance]
- Advised global automobile company in data protection compliance project
- Represented global insurance company in litigation related to alleged violation of the Personal Information Protection Act
- Advised company during investigation conducted by the Financial Supervisory Service and provided representation in related litigation following data leaks that occurred at several major Korean credit
- Advised big data processing company on data protection compliance issues
- Served on the Korea Communication Commission's advisory committee for the drafting of the Guidelines on Data Protection for Big Data
- Advised Woori Financial Group in IT compliance project
- Advised on data protection issues in connection with the SK Telecom - SK Planet spin-off
- Advised on data protection issues in connection with the Shinsegae - Emart spin-off
- Advised Sony on its PlayStation data breach.
- Represented ISPs in litigation in connection with the 2003 Internet Security Incident
- Advised major telecom and IT companies such as SK Telecom, SK Broadband, LG U-Plus, NHN, Auction on various data protection issues
- [Technology , Media and Telecommunications]
- Advised Global company on connected car project
- Advised company L on issues related to IOT (internet of things) services
- Represented SK Telecom in litigation related to alleged violation of the Mobile Handset Distribution Improvement Act
- Represented SK Telecom in litigation related to the disclosure of operating costs for mobile telecom fees
- Advised leading mobile carriers during auctions of radio spectrum for LTE service
- Served on the advisory committee for the drafting of the Special Act on the Promotion of Information and Communications Technology, Vitalization of Convergence thereof, etc.
- Advised on issues relating to the divestiture and merger of SK Planet and SK M&C
- Advised Samsung Electronics in connection with its formation of a joint venture company with KT
- Advised multiple-system cable operators such as t-broad on various merger and acquisitions issues
- Advised media companies on licensing, re-licensing, re-approval, etc.
- Represented major telecom companies in administrative proceedings, and advised them on KCC's finding of violation of 'prohibited act' clauses
- Advised foreign telecom companies on various issues related to entry into the domestic telecom market
- Advised major internet portals on various issues and provided representation in litigation involving defamation claims
- Revised IP-TV Act handbook published by the Korea Communication Commission
- Advised LG Electronics on issues related to its LG Pay service
- Advised Naver on issues related to its Naver Wallet service
- Advised SK Planet on issues related to various pre-paid electronic payment methods
- Legal counsel for the Yellow Financial Group
- Advised company S on issues related to the credit investigation business
- Served on the Financial Services Commission's advisory committee for the amendment of the Credit Information Act and served as a member of the Data Protection Task Force
|Georgetown University Law Center - LL.M.
|Judicial Research & Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
|Korea University - LL.B
|Lee & Ko
|Committee Member, Interpretation Review Committee for Information and Communications Network Laws and Regulations
|Group Member, Working Group Task Force to Improve the Information and Communications Network Act, Korea Communication Commission
|Committee Member, Statutory Interpretation Review Committee, Financial Services Commission, Ministry of the Interior and Safety
|Committee Member, Personal Information Protection Committee, Naver
|Group Member, Working Group Task Force to Promote the Use of Big Data, Ministry of Science and ICT
|Financial Director, Korea Personal Information Protection Law Association
|Group Member, Working Group for the Right to be Forgotten, Korea Communications Commission
|Lecturer, Graduate School of Law, Yonsei University
|Committee Member, E-Commerce Mediation Committee
|Committee Member, Interpretation Review Committee for Personal Information Protection Laws and Regulations
|Committee Member, Evaluation Committee for the Registration of Telecom Billing Services
|Admitted to bar, Korea
|Admitted to bar, New York
Awards and Recognitions
|The A List - Korea's top 100 lawyers (Asia Business Law Journal)
|Leading Lawyers, Technology and telecommunications (AsiaLaw)
|TOP 15 TMT Lawyer (ASIAN LEGAL BUSINESS)
|Presidential Citation for active involvement in the drafting of legislation to promote the Data Economy
|2019,2021, 2022, 2023
|Ranked Lawyer (Band2) Technology, Media, Telecommunication (Chambers Asia Pacific)
|Minister of the Interior and Safety's Award (achievements in the data protection sector)
|TMT Lawyer of the Year 2016 (Legal Times)
|KISA President's Award for Personal Data Protection
|Leading TMT(Technology, Media, Telecoms) lawyer' (Chambers Asia Pacific)
Publications / Presentations / ETC
- EU GDPR(co-author) (Bakyoungsa, 2017)
- The Telecommunications Business Act (co-author) (Bobmunsa, 2016)
- Study of the Radio Waves Act (co-author) (Bobmunsa, 2013)
- Presentation on Feasibility and Effectiveness of Regulations on Consent for and Destruction of Personal Information (Korea Personal Information Protection Law Association/ Korea Society for Regulatory
- Presentation on Recommendations for the Reasonable Amendment and Enforcement of Personal Information Protection Laws (Korea Personal Information Protection Law Association, 2014)
- Presentation on Approval System for Telecom Service Fees and Main Legal Issues (Center for Law & Public Utilities, Seoul National University, 2014)
- Presentation on Amendment of the Credit Information Act and Main Legal Issues (Financial Information Society of Korea, 2014)
- Criteria for Determining the Justifiability of an Approval System for Telecom Service Fees and Recommendations (Journal of Law and Economic Regulation, 2014)
- Conducted numerous lectures for the Korean Bar Association, SK Telecom, Doosan Group, LG Group, the Samsung Group, Nike, Daum, etc.