As our corporate clients grow and look for business opportunities beyond the borders of Korea, Lee & Ko is there to make sure they succeed.
In recent years, overseas investments, joint ventures, partnerships and projects by Korean companies, financial institutions, pension funds and government-sponsored entities have dramatically increased. Our experience working with these institutions show investments are made across a broad range of industries, asset classes and geographic locations. Korean investors are looking at every corner of the globe to seek new markets to distribute their goods and services, to strengthen technologies and to secure the long-term supply natural resources and raw materials.
Our attorneys and other professionals in the cross-border and overseas practice group have worked extensively with many leading Korean overseas investors. As a result, they understand the difficulties of consummating Outbound Investment and transactions in virtually all jurisdictions, a great number of which have rules and regulations that are different than those in Korea. They understand that cultural differences also play a critical role. In lesser developing jurisdictions, understanding anti-corruption laws and political risk also play a critical role. Our attorneys understand the tools that are available to safeguard against these risks. Our attorneys are particularly well-suited to provide the following services:
- Providing transaction advice and strategy, including performing legal due diligence and negotiating and documenting transaction documents
- Designing transaction structures to achieve tax efficiency and to safeguard against the risk of expropriation and other government actions that can impact the viability of investment projects (especially in lesser developing jurisdictions)
- Working closely with leading local law firms and international firms, as appropriate, to make certain that local rules and regulations are fully complied with
- Securing special incentives and exemptions that are available under the local FDI regime
- Developing and executing exit and repatriation structures that would minimize regulatory and tax burdens
The cross-border and overseas practice group is comprised of top M&A, energy, infrastructure, finance and tax specialists with many years of experience working with leading Korean business groups, financial institutions, pension funds, and government-sponsored institutions. Moreover, the group is especially qualified to assist in overseas investments and transaction matters as the group is led by several foreign licensed attorneys who were partners at leading global law and “Big-Four” accounting firms. Lee & Ko is the only firm in Korea with such deep level of expertise and experience.