As the first president of the『Lee & Ko Global Commerce Institute (GCI)』newly established in September 2017, Dr. Taeho Bark, together with the GCI team members working under his supervision, monitors new developments and trends in global trade and investment, analyzes major international trade dispute cases and provides in-depth advice and strategic insights to Korean and foreign enterprises in connection with their trade and investment related planning and concerns. In his capacity as president of the GCI, Dr. Bark will be implementing a program of special educational lectures on practical trade issues and policies for representatives of various interested companies and institutions. Dr. Taeho Bark is an internationally renowned trade expert and, among other accomplishments, is a Seoul National University (SNU) Professor Emeritus, who has lectured extensively on international commerce and related subjects, and former Dean of the SNU Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS). In addition to his academic career, Dr. Bark has extensive experience serving as a public official working on trade policy and negotiation matters, having served with distinction as Minister for Trade of the Korean government (December 2011 - March 2013), as well as serving as the Ambassador-at-Large for International Trade and as the Chairman of the International Trade Commission of Korea.
||University of Wisconsin-Madison – Ph.D. in Economics
||University of Wisconsin-Madison – M.A. in Economics
||Seoul National University – B.A. in Economics
||Lee & Ko, Global Commerce Institute (GCI)
||Professor Emeritus at Seoul National University
||Ambassador-at Large, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
||Candidate for DG of the WTO
||Minister for Trade, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
||Chairman, International Trade Commission
||Visiting Scholar, The World Bank
||Visiting Scholar, The IMF
||Professor and Dean, Graduate School of International Studies Seoul National University
||Senior Economist, Office of the President
||Senior Research Fellow &Vice President, KIEP
||Research Fellow, Korea Development Institute (KDI)
||Assistant Professor, Georgetown University
||The Order of Service Merit-Yellow Stripes
- 『Evaluation of Investment Liberalization Efforts by APEC Economies』, APEC Study Series 06-02, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, November, 2006.
- 『Understanding the Korean Economy』, with 7 other co-authors, Kyobo Publishing Co., Seoul, 2005. (in Korean).
- 『Principles of International Economics』, with 7 other co-authors, Pakyoungsa, Seoul, 2002. (in Korean).
- 『International Commerce: Policies, Rules and Negotiations』, with 7 other co-authors, Pakyoungsa, Seoul, 1999. (in Korean).
- 『Study on the Member Countries’ Implementation of Major APEC Agreements』, with 2 other co-authors, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, Policy Study 98-08, October, 1998. (in Korean)
- “A Framework for Trade Policy for Bhutan Compatible with the Gross National Happiness,” (with Inkyo Cheong and Hoe Yun Jeong), ADB, South Asia Working Paper Series, NO. 39, ADB, September 2015.
- “The Relationship between Trade and Economic Growth and a Slowdown of Exports in Korea,” in B. Hoekman ed., The Global Trade Slowdown: A New Normal, A VoxEu.org eBook, June 2015, pp. 199-206.
- “Potential Impact of TTIP: A Korean View,” in M. S. Akman, S. J. Evenett and P. Low eds., Catalyst? TTIP’s Impact on the Rest, A VoxEu.org eBook , April 2015, pp. 97-102.
- “Three Years of the Implementation of the KORUS FTA: A Korean View,” KEI Blog, March 2015.
- “Korea-China FTA: Major Contents and Implications,” SFIA Viewpoint, Seoul Forum for International Affairs, January 2015.
- “Korea's Trade Relations and its FTA Policies,” manuscript, May 2014.
- “Two Rabbits of International Trade,” Project Syndicate, February 2013.
- “Trade Promotion in East Asia: Issues and Emerging Trends,” in G. S. Cheema, C. A. McNally and V. Popovski eds., Cross-Border Governance in Asia, in UN University Press, April 2011, pp. 169-218.
- “The G20: from Seoul to Paris and Beyond,” with Y. Rhee, Journal of International Trade and Industry Studies, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 1-42, 2011.
- “Asia's Strategic Participation in the Group of 20 for Global Economic Governance Reform: From the Perspective of International Trade,” SCHWEIZERISCHE ZEITSCHRIFT FUER INTERNATIONALE WIRTSCHAFTBEZIEHUNGEN, AUSSEN-WIRTSCHAFT, March 2011, pp. 33-58.
- “Evaluation of Korea-US FTA Negotiations Results and Their Economic Impacts,” International Trade and Business Institute, ITBI Review, 2007. (in Korean)
- “Services Trade Liberalization in East Asia: Focusing on Telecommunications Services, ”Journal of International Trade and Industry Studies, Vol. XI, No. 3, December 2006.
- “Political Economy of Korea-Japan Free Trade Agreement: A Korean Perspective,”(with Chong Sup Kim), in C. Y. Ahn, I. Cheong, Y. Fukagawa and T. Ito eds., Korea-Japan FTA:Towards a Model Case for East Asian Economic Integration, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, February 2005.
- “Globalization of Technologies through Foreign Direct Investment: Competitiveness Impact and Policy Implications,”(with Hwy-Chang Moon), Asia Pacific Tech Monitor, January-February 2002.
- “Asian Economic Crisis, Foreign Direct Investment and Stabilized Economic Growth: Crisis Revisited and Implications for APEC Member Economies,”(with Hwy-Chang Moon), Journal of International Business and Economy, Fall 2001.
- “Investment Environment after the Financial Crisis in the Asia-Pacific Region,”(with Hwy-Chang Moon), APEC Study Series 00-04, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, December 2000.
- “New World Economic Order and Future Tasks of the WTO,”International and Area Studies, No. 7, Vol. 2, GIAS, Seoul National University, July 1998. (in Korean)
- “Korean-U.S. Economic Relations under the New Global Order,” with Il SaKong in Claud E. Barfielded., The United States and East Asia: Trade and Investment Expansion, American Enterprise Institute, Washington, D.C., 1997, pp. 117-144.
- “Cooperation between the U.S. and Korea in the Asia-Pacific,” with Jang-Hee Yoo in C. Fred Bergsten and Il SaKong eds., Korea-United States in the New World Order, Institute for International Economics, Washington, D.C. and Institute for Global Economics, Seoul, February 1996, pp. 93-105.
- “The Korean Consumer Electronic Industry: Reaction to Antidumping Actions,” in J. Michael Finger ed., Antidumping: How It Works and Who Gets Hurt, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Michigan, June 1993, pp. 121-135.
- “Efficiency and Export Earnings Implication of Two-Tier Quota Allocation Rules,” with Jaime de Melo, International Economic Journal, Vol. 3, No. 3, Autumn 1989, pp. 31-42.
- “Macro Shocks and Industrial Portfolio Responses: An Econometric Model for LDCs,” with James Tybout, The Review of Economics and Statistics, 1988, pp. 559-568.
- “Export Quota Allocations, Export Earnings and Market Diversification,” with Jaime de Melo, The World Bank Economic Review, 1988, pp. 341-348.
- “Export Mix Adjustment to Imposition of VERs: Alternative License Allocation Schemes,” with Jaime de Melo, Weltwirtschaftliches Arichiv, 1987, pp. 668-678.
- “Distortions and Intertemporal Welfare in a Small Open Economy,” Journal of International Economics, 1987, pp. 151-165.